Appsbroker Consulting Ltd collaborates with Google to ensure some of the biggest businesses in Britain harness the power of cloud technology. We also develop cutting edge business applications tailored to the unique requirements of our clients. We are a dynamic, fast growing and fun place to work, with a great team culture. The projects and technologies with which we work are changing the way business collaborates, communicates and makes business decisions. We offer a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make a direct contribution to the success and rapid growth of the business.
Line Manager Head of Development
We are looking for a strong DevOps Team Lead to help us build the next generation of cloud platforms for our customers and lead of team of skilled DevOps Engineers to achieve this goal. Engineers at Appsbroker get the opportunity to excel in multiple technology disciplines. You will get exposure to the latest Google technologies including Google Compute Engine, App Engine, BigQuery, Managed VMs, Docker plus Puppet / Ansible for CM / automation. Training & certification in Google Cloud Platform technologies is provided on the job.
- Line management, mentoring and professional development for a team of DevOps professionals
- Responsible for DevOps developed solutions - schedule, budget and authorised technology / architecture
- Development of cloud hosting platforms infrastructure and systems (auto scaling & load balanced resilient architectures, monitored & audited, secure & auto deployed)
- Tooling for cloud hosting platforms - Deploying and managing cloud infrastructure using Google Cloud Platform tools and/or AWS and configuration of Linux operating systems using Puppet, Chef, Ansible etc
- Monitoring costs and managing budgets for the deployed technology stack
- Work on one or more projects reporting to the lead of DevOps / Big Data
- Automating system administration
- Developing and supporting test frameworks and systems
- Best practice for rolling out security patches & operating system major releases
- Assist development team with test platforms & continuous integration activities
Experience & Desirable Skills
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools
- Good scripting skills in a Linux-environment language (Bash, sed & awk, Perl, Python)
- Reasonable programming skills in at least 1 modern language (Java, C#, Python, PHP, Ruby etc)
- Experience with administration & platform engineering of a major Linux-based operating system. Particularly RPM based Linux (RedHat, Centos, Unbreakable Linux and Fedora)
- Prior experience with Linux in Virtual Machine environments: VMware / VSphere, Docker, KVM, Xen
- Solid cloud firewall experience: iptables, AWS security groups etc
- Experience with designing, using and maintaining database systems.
- Able to work in small Agile teams with other developers, project managers and stakeholders.
- Experience with working directly with customers.
- Able to commit to deadlines / sprint outcomes and deliver and demonstrate tested components
- Able to accurately estimate time to complete tasks based on stories / requirements
- Able to work across multiple projects within the same time-frames
- Able to interpret requirements and assist in producing designs that meet those requirements
- Source code control / release management skills
- Working knowledge of securing a Linux server from attack threats
- Good documentation skills
Desirable skills & experience
- Experience building custom Linux platforms & releases: RedHat Satellite, Spacewalk, Cobbler
- Conversant in configuration management automation - Puppet, Chef, Salt or Ansible.
- Conversant in JSON and Cloud Platform REST web services for controlling Cloud Infrastructure
- Prior experience with Google Cloud Platform and / or Amazon Web Services Infrastructure as a Service offerings
- Ability to create RPMs
- Able to draw / describe platform architectures visually using modern diagramming tools (Visio etc)
- ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) - preferably using Talend
- Google Cloud Storage or Amazon S3
- noSQL datastore experience - Google High Replication Datastore, Google Cloud Datastore, Amazon DynamoDb, MongoDb
- Traditional relational database experience - preferably MySQL
- Google APIs (OAuth, Maps, Cloud Endpoints, Google Apps etc)
- Working knowledge of HTML / CSS, HTML5 / CSS3
Line Manager: Head of Development
Location: Old Town, Swindon
Job Type: Permanent Full Time (No Contractors, Please)
Salary: £45,000 to £60,000 Dependent on Experience