Appsbroker Consulting Ltd collaborates with Google to ensure some of the
biggest businesses in Britain harness the power of cloud technology. We also
develop cutting edge business applications tailored to the unique requirements
of our clients. We are a dynamic team. We work hard and have fun with a great
team culture. We recognise that happy & fulfilled employees are more
productive and will go the extra mile!
The projects and technologies we work with are changing the way business
collaborates, communicates and makes decisions. This is a great opportunity to
be part of the future model for business success. We offer a fast-paced and
challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make a direct
contribution to the success and rapid growth of the business.
Person Specification and Role Summary
- You will have operated at a Team Leader level or higher previously and be comfortable leading a small team of Platform engineers
- You will have Platform architect experience and be able to demonstrate this knowledge
- You are comfortable staying ahead of the technology curve and are conversant in Cloud technology
- You will be responsible for building relationships with key internal
customers to ensure that their requirements are accurately captured
and benefit understood. You will be interested in taking on Product
Owner responsibility for a number of Platform components and will
own the roadmap for these.
- The position requires a strong personality who can get the best out of people, lead by example, happy saying “No”, can make decisions and understand the software development lifecycle
- The role requires a confident communicator who will build relationships with internal stakeholders and customers.
- You will be a true problem-solver with the desire to meet project deadlines and delight our customers and internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrate a can do attitude, be willing to learn and listen to other people’s views, team visionary and focused
As Head of Platform your role will include, but not be limited to the following;
- You are a Senior Manager and will report to the Engineering Director, helping set the strategic direction for Platform and related tooling
- You will be responsible and accountable for the delivery of Platform projects and Platform roadmap features
- You will manage the Platform Tools Team and manage the growth of this team as the Platform capability grows within Appsbroker.
- The Platform Tools Team are responsible for building the tooling and standard patterns to automate the delivery and support of Cloud infrastructure and Container solutions
- You will provide the Platform Architect sign off function as part of the wider Technical Design Authority (TDA) at Appsbroker and be confident delegating this responsibility if required. You will define our standard and approved architectures / patterns for the Google Cloud Platform technologies described below
- Own the Container / Kubernetes vision at Appsbroker
- You will liaise with the Head of Architecture to ensure Platform solutions are aligned to our Software Development goals (Project & Product) and supportability requirements
- Security is a primary Non Functional Requirement for our Products and our Customer’s projects. You will be able to advise on secure architectures and be able to critique solutions to ensure appropriate levels of security
- You will be able to handle change in a fast moving environment
- Ideally, you will be an Agile practitioner and have worked in or led teams previously following Scrum, Kanban, MVP etc. All engineering projects will follow either Scrum or Kanban.
- Ideally you will have used Jira (or equivalent) and be comfortable understanding Jira metrics, reports and all aspects of running a sprint
- You will control cost on assigned projects, ensure the quality of deliverables meet or exceed the agreed delivery timescales of these projects
- You will work closely with the TechOps team at Appsbroker (who are responsible for deploying and managing the Google Cloud Estate on behalf of our customers) and ensure they have appropriate tooling and an agreed roadmap to allow them to deliver and support Platform centric projects
- You will own internal tooling within Appsbroker and agree with the Head of Architecture and Heads of Development on how best to build this. Examples include: Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment solutions, Container test environments for developers and Remote Working
- Be a champion of Google cloud technology, and agile methodologies
- Answering day to day questions from the development team and clarifying requirements
Qualifications and Experience
- Ideally an Architect level certification from one of the major Cloud vendors (Google, Amazon, Azure etc)
- Containers, Docker, Kubernetes (or equivalent) and using these technologies for the architecture of multi-region, load-balanced resilient microservices type platforms
- RedHat / Centos or Ubuntu / Debian - RHCE or equivalent desirable - Strong Linux skills are mandatory
- Windows Server (desirable - not mandatory)
- Conversant in at least one software language - Python ideal
- Deep knowledge in one or more of the following: Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- Estate management (Ansible, Puppet etc)
- Patch management (RHN Satellite, Spacewalk, yum, WSUS etc)
- Very good networking, VPN and firewall knowledge especially for VPC type deployments
- Excellent understanding of the Non Functional Requirements (NFRs) of projects and how Platform architecture can make systems secure, resilient and performant
- Hardened operating systems / security concerns, bastions, DMZs
- Experience of acting as Product Owner is desirable
- Team Leader skills
- Any certifications in Agile, Scrum would be of interest but by no means essential
- Commercially aware
Line Manager: Engineering Director
Location: Old Town, Swindon
Job Type: This a full time, permanent role. Occasional travel to customer sites for meetings and workshops
Salary: Dependent on Experience
To apply please submit your CV - thank you.