You will be responsible for delivering high quality, robust solutions as part of a fast-paced agile environment. The successful Principle Engineer will be involved in all aspects of development, utilising industry standards and best practice at all stages.
We work using agile methods (scrum & kanban), so an excellent working knowledge of this is a must as is excellent communications skills as you will regularly interact with people from across the business.
Your previous experience will mean you are adept at finding solutions to complex problems taking ownership and providing a recommended approach to engineering management.
As a principal engineer you will also be a member of the technical design authority and will be responsible for validation the design and architecture of solutions. In addition you might be called on to help out projects which have developed significant issues.
We’re committed to continuous improvement, so you will be expected to proactively suggest and implement enhancements, additionally mentoring junior team members to grow their skills and experience and act as a role model.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Active participation in agile planning, refinement, retrospectives
- Take ownership in designing, developing and testing user stories
- Help to define standards and best practice and ensure these are followed
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement within the department
- Work closely with the product owner and stakeholders to achieve acceptance of user stories
- Effectively communicate complex designs concepts to technical and non-technical people
- Be objective around solutions and looking to reduce technical debt.
- Should have a good understanding of all aspects of the project they are working on or technically responsible for.
- Excellent understanding of the non-functional requirements of projects, and strive to make software robust, secure and performant.
- Mentor team members to improve their skills and experience
- Understanding all Google Cloud Platform technology offerings and able to understand where to use and when to use.
- Providing Architectural guidance and review.
- Troubleshooting issues that require the most senior technical support.
- Help to define approved technologies and patterns.
- Identify Risks, Issue and challenges on projects.
Skills & Experience
We use advanced Google technologies, so we’re looking for someone with a thirst to learn and the ability to master new technology. Whilst you’ll be given the relevant training, the following are core skills:
- Deep Java development experience (JEE) and Java Servlets
- Design and development of RESTful services
- Deep understanding of DI frameworks, such as Spring
- Extensive understanding of Databases, both relational and nonrelational, e.g. Hadoop, Spark
- Excellent Architecture and design skills
- Ability to create solution designs using UML, especially sequence, class and activity diagrams
- Demonstrable experience of accurate estimation and the ability to deliver on time and to quality
- Use of source code and continuous integration tools, i.e. Git, Maven, Jenkins
- Proactively communicate with others
- Ability to self-manage, self learn and seek out answers
- Excellent unit, integration and regression testing skills
- Excellent documentation skills
- Good understanding of security and identity management, authentication, authorisation, crypto, OWASP
- Proven ability to learn new skills and programming languages
Any of the following would be advantageous:
- Google Cloud Platform
- Google App Engine
- Google Cloud Datastore - noSQL experience
- Google Cloud Storage
- Google BigQuery
- Google Cloud Dataflow
- Google APIs (OAuth, Maps, Cloud Endpoints, Google Apps etc)
- Google Guice
- JUnit, Cucumber
- Linux experience (RedHat, Centos or Fedora)
- Experience of Jira
Line Manager: Head of Architecture
Location: Old Town, Swindon
Job Type: Permanent Full Time
Salary: Dependent on Experience
To apply please submit your CV - thank you.