You will be part of a team responsible for delivering a high quality, robust solution for a business critical financial service application in fast-paced agile environment. The successful candidate will be involved in all aspects of development, utilising industry standards and best practice at all stages.
We work using agile methods (scrum & kanban), so an excellent working knowledge of this is a must as is excellent communications skills as you will regularly interact with people from across the business.
Your previous experience will mean you are adept at finding solutions to complex problems taking ownership and providing a recommended approach to engineering management.
We’re committed to continuous improvement, so you will be expected to proactively suggest and implement enhancements, additionally mentoring junior team members to grow their skills and experience and act as a role model.
Responsibilities, Required Skills & Experience
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Active participation in agile planning, refinement, retrospectives
- Take ownership in developing and testing user stories
- Ensure standards and best practice are followed
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement within the team
- Work closely with the product owner and stakeholders to achieve acceptance of user stories
- Define and communicate complex design concepts to technical and non-technical people
- Be objective around solutions and looking to reduce technical debt.
- Should have a good understanding of all aspects of the project they are working on.
- Consider the non-functional requirements of a project, and strive to make software robust.
- Mentor junior team members to improve their skills and experience
We use advanced Google technologies, so we’re looking for someone with a thirst to learn and the ability to master new technology. Whilst you’ll be given the relevant training, the following are core skills:
- Deep Java development experience (JEE) and Java Servlets
- Design and development of RESTful services
- Experience of DI frameworks, such as Spring
- Databases, both relational and nonrelational
- Experience within financial services
- Experience of Copycat fault-tolerant state machine replication framework
- Experience of Reactive, Copycat's event framework
- Demonstrable experience of accurate estimation and the ability to deliver on time and to quality
- Use of source code and continuous integration tools, i.e. Git, Maven, Jenkins
- Proactively communicate with others
- Ability to self-manage, self learn and seek out answers
- Excellent unit, integration and regression testing skills.
- Good documentation skills
Any of the following would be advantageous
- Google Cloud Platform
- JUnit, Cucumber
- Linux experience (RedHat, Centos or Fedora)
- Experience of Jira
Line Manager: Project Lead
Location: Old Town, Swindon,Wiltshire / Central London
Job Type: This a contract role
Salary: Competitive salary dependent on experience
To apply please submit your CV - thank you.