Appsbroker Consulting Ltd collaborates with Google to ensure some of the biggest businesses in Britain harness the power of cloud technology. We also develop cutting edge business applications tailored to the unique requirements of our clients. We are a dynamic team. We work hard and have fun with a great team culture. We recognise that happy & fulfilled employees are more productive and will go the extra mile! The projects and technologies we work with are changing the way business collaborates, communicates and makes decisions. This is a great opportunity to be part of the future model for business success. We offer a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make a direct contribution to the success and rapid growth of the business.
You will carry out development Data Base Administrator (DBA) tasks on Google Cloud SQL installations, in addition, you will provide table schema, view creation and SQL query writing capabilities for Google BigQuery (Google’s Data Warehouse solution). You will receive extensive training before this is asked of you. Working with Software Engineers, you will help them write complex SQL queries and optimise database table and index design. You will be familiar with Entity Relationship Diagrams and Domain Model UML diagrams and be able to translate these into database configurations. Occasionally you will be required to work with Appsbroker customers to help them understand how they could host their databases and data warehouses / data lakes using the appropriate Google Cloud Platform technology. You will receive extensive training before this is asked of you.
You will be the lead expert at Appsbroker for all things SQL and be able to train up other DBAs and Software Engineers. Creating a ‘centre of excellence’, you will have responsibility for ensuring the quality of SQL development - maintaining appropriate standards and controls to achieve this. You will work with Business Analysts, Technical Architects, Scrum Masters and others across the business to scope and design new solutions leveraging your DBA skills. With an ever changing landscape you will research new technologies and techniques looking for ways to improve our solutions and the effectiveness of the team.
Your main responsibilities will include
- SQL & DBA expertise across Appsbroker
- Create and maintain appropriate standards and best practice around Google Cloud SQL and BigQuery
- Define and communicate complex database concepts to technical and non-technical people
- Mentor others to improve their skills and experience
Skills & Experience
- We use advanced Google technologies, so we’re looking for someone with an eagerness to learn and the ability to master new technology. Whilst you’ll be given the relevant training, the following are required core skills:
- Conversant in SQL 2011 including more advanced queries such as triggers, stored procedures, views, joins and subqueries
- Significant experience in supporting SQL Server 2008/2012/2014, or MySQL and / or MariaDb, and/or supporting Oracle 10, 11 or 12.
- Ability to create and interpret solution designs using UML / ERD diagrams
- Tuning and maintaining SQL Server or MySQL databases
- Performance and monitoring of SQL Server or MySQL databases
- Set to Work of SQL Server or MySQL databases
- Backup and recovery strategies for SQL Server or MySQL databases
- ISO27001 Data protection, PII, PCI and Role Based access to data
- Ability to self-manage, self learn and seek out answers
- Have worked with Software Engineers previously
- Good documentation skills
Any of the following would be advantageous
- Financial Services experience
- Google Cloud Platform
- Google Cloud SQL
- Google BigQuery and BigQuery User Defined Functions (UDF)
- Google Cloud Dataflow
- ETL pattern for data ingestion (Talend, SSIS etc)
- Data Warehouse experience
- Reporting and Data analytics (Tableau, Qlikview, SSRS, SSAS etc)
- NoSQL databases (MongoDb, Google Cloud Datastore)
- Any MCP certifications in SQL Server or MySQL
- Hadoop, Redshift, Athena etc.
- Linux experience (RedHat, Centos or Ubuntu)
- SQL Database clustering, load balanced and high availability configurations
- Experience of Jira and being involved in Agile Scrum teams
- Previous team leader experience or an aspiration to become one
Line Manager: Dev Ops Team Lead
Location: Old Town, Swindon
Job Type: Permanent Full Time (No Contractors, Please)
Salary: £40,000 to £55,000 Dependent on Experience