Appsbroker Consulting Ltd collaborates with Google to ensure some of the biggest businesses in Britain harness the power of cloud technology. We also develop cutting edge business applications tailored to the unique requirements of our clients. We are a dynamic team. We work hard and have fun with a great team culture. We recognise that happy & fulfilled employees are more productive and will go the extra mile!
The projects and technologies we work with are changing the way business collaborates, communicates and makes decisions. This is a great opportunity to be part of the future model for business success. We offer a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make a direct contribution to the success and rapid growth of the business.
The Senior Java Developer Team Lead will be required to provide line management and direction to the back end development team to provide a high quality solutions for customers and Appsbroker products. You will be responsible for developing and implementing the back end development strategy and so you will need to be self-motivated and proactive in keeping abreast of the latest tools and techniques.
As a Senior Java Developer; you will be responsible for delivering high quality, robust solutions as part of a fast-paced agile environment. The successful Senior Java Developer will be involved in all aspects of development, utilising industry standards and best practice at all stages.
We work using agile methods (scrum & kanban), so an excellent working knowledge of this is a must as is excellent communications skills as you will regularly interact with people from across the business.
Your previous experience will mean you are adept at finding solutions to complex problems taking ownership and providing a recommended approach to engineering management.
We’re committed to continuous improvement, so you will be expected to proactively suggest and implement enhancements, additionally mentoring junior team members to grow their skills and experience and act as a role model.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Day to day line management of team, including regular 1:1’s, annual reviews, personal development reviews, performance improvement.
- Work with fellow Java Team Lead to strategically set out how teams should develop software in a container first / microservices centric development environment with assistance from the Technical Design Authority.
- Champion Appsbroker’s Agile development framework and take responsibility for developing and continually refining the approach to back end development.
- Lead and mentor team members and provide technical support and coaching for junior members of the team.
- Act as key point of contact for all back end development aspects of projects and coordinating resources internally.
- Ensuring that development metrics and KPIs are being collected for each project and that highlighted issues and deficiencies are being addressed.
- Preparing for and participating in weekly and monthly meetings with the back end development team and upwards to Engineering managers.
- Identify the training requirements of the team members and develop a training programme to increase their skill set.
- Be approachable and available to the team and act as an escalation point and assist in resolving any issues faced by the team members with their daily tasks.
Existing Role Requirements
- Active participation in agile planning, refinement, retrospectives
- Take ownership in developing and testing user stories
- Ensure standards and best practice are followed
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement within the team
- Work closely with the product owner and stakeholders to achieve acceptance of user stories
- Define and communicate complex design concepts to technical and non-technical people
- Be objective around solutions and looking to reduce technical debt.
- Should have a good understanding of all aspects of the project they are working on.
- Consider the non-functional requirements of a project, and strive to make software robust.
- Mentor junior team members to improve their skills and experience
Skills & Experience
We use advanced Google technologies, so we’re looking for someone with a thirst to learn and the ability to master new technology. Whilst you’ll be given the relevant training, the following are core skills:
- Deep Java development experience (JEE) and Java Servlets
- Design and development of RESTful services
- Experience of DI frameworks, such as Spring
- Databases, both relational and nonrelational
- Ability to create solution designs using UML, especially sequence, class and activity diagrams
- Demonstrable experience of accurate estimation and the ability to deliver on time and to quality
- Use of source code and continuous integration tools, i.e. Git, Maven, Jenkins
- Proactively communicate with others
- Ability to self-manage, self learn and seek out answers
- Excellent unit, integration and regression testing skills.
- Good documentation skills
Any of the following would be advantageous
- Google Cloud Platform
- Google App Engine
- Google Cloud Datastore - noSQL experience
- Google Cloud Storage
- Google BigQuery
- Google Cloud Dataflow
- Google APIs (OAuth, Maps, Cloud Endpoints, Google Apps etc)
- Google Guice
- JUnit, Cucumber
- Linux experience (RedHat, Centos or Fedora)
- Experience of Jira
- Demonstrable experience line managing teams within a software development context
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable experience of an ability to adapt to change and successfully lead within times of ambiguity
Line Manager: Head of Engineering Delivery
Location: Old Town, Swindon
Job Type: Permanent Full Time (No Contractors, Please)
Salary: Competitive salary dependent on experience
To apply please submit your CV - thank you.